The following is an excerpt from Unlocking the Secrets of Successful Women:
To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep stepping.
“Deborah Lysholm, a dancer, prayed she could outrun the bullets as her husband chased her outside on a blustery April night in 1992 aiming a rifle at her. After 23 years of a terror filled marriage, she knew she had to leave him–no matter how much she feared and believed his threats that he would find her and kill her. Instead of becoming a statistic, she summoned unbelievable courage to start a new life for herself and her college-aged daughter, Kristen.”
excerpt from Deborah’s book Dancing To My Heartbeat
Dance has been an integral part of my life since childhood, and with each passing year, became increasingly instrumental in defining who I am. Striving for a career in dance, more specifically building a performing arts center, was my main focus.
Since things from the heart speak loudest to me, I wanted and needed a career that summon absolute zeal.
My dream flourished when my daughter and I opened our own performing arts center, Heartbeat Studios January 1998. I came alive at that moment because a new life was truly beginning for both of us. Making a living doing what I love to do is simply exhilarating!
In January 2013, Heartbeat celebrated its fifteenth anniversary. [Some] Milestones in those years include:
- Being selected as the only dance studio to travel to London to represent the United States at the 400th anniversary celebration of settlers sailing from Kent, England to Jamestown, Virginia.
- Developing a successful dance/movement program for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD.
- Maturing to a full-fledged performing arts center offering classes to 300-plus students each year in dance (ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, modern, break dance, flamenco, dance line), acting and singing.
If a woman asked me for advice about achieving success, I’d say:
- Define what success is to you. Pull the curtain back to see what success will look like. … Always do your homework to ensure every step or decision you make is done with eyes wide open. Embrace what you do, not only with pride, but with undying passion. Love the ride.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions or seek a mentor. Talk to many people and filter out what you know will be useful to your endeavor.
- Being fearless and having the ability to dream big will set things in motion.
- Be a good listener, even more than a good talker because the more information you take in, the more you will be prepared to pursue your goal.
Key to Success:
Not only have a clear vision of where you are headed, but also the humility to acknowledge there is no end to the “achieving success” process because the journey might take you in directions you never thought possible.
For more information about Deborah:
Facebook author page, Deborah Lysholm